Police Brutality Blamed for Airport Death

via Aftermath News by pjwalker911 on 11/13/07

There is still no detailed believable account of how exactly Gotbaum managed to strangle herself with her own handcuffs, an extremely unlikely scenario that still sounds like it was made up. And if it was made up, then it means the police are lying and covering something up.

The question now is whether or not the rough handling which led to her death, was just an indirect contributing cause or if it was a direct cause, ie if she was actually put in a choke-hold by one of the officers, for example, in the process of controlling her. Since Wecht seems to prefer to believe the offical story about the mechanism of strangulation, no matter how outlandish it is (and it is), then we will probably never know.

We are looking at rough handling combined with neglect as contributing causes to her death. When police haul you off into custody, remove your liberty and bind your hands, they then become responsible for your health while incarcerated. If they fail to provide proper healthcare to, in this case an inebriated distraught woman, then they are culpable in their neglect. And she was neglected according to their own admissions. And sorry, CPR after the fact of cardiopulmonary arrest does not count as “healthcare”. The police are therefore guilty on counts of abuse and neglect at the bare minimum.

As usual, nobody is being held accountable because, as we have seen time and time again, the police operate above the law.


“Crude, rude, brutal, aggressive treatment, directly responsible for her death.”

AP | Nov 13, 2007


PHOENIX (AP) — A private pathologist hired by the family of a woman who died in police custody at the city’s airport said Monday that she accidentally strangled herself — but he also blamed police for her death.

Dr. Cyril Wecht agreed with a medical examiner’s earlier report that an intoxicated Carol Anne Gotbaum accidentally strangled herself on her shackles in a holding room at Sky Harbor International Airport on Sept. 28.

But Wecht also said officers roughed up the 45-year-old mother of three, who was flying from New York to an alcohol treatment center in Tucson, and said they should have watched her as she sat in the holding room alone, screaming.

“This is a person who cries out for medical care, attention, appraisal, evaluation, appropriate treatment,” Wecht told The Associated Press. “Anyone with a modicum of training would know this.”

“That insensitivity, that crude, rude, brutal, aggressive treatment, are directly responsible for her death,” he said. Wecht said he sent his findings to family lawyer Michael Manning.

Police spokesman Sgt. Andy Hill said officers followed proper procedures when they arrested Gotbaum, the step-daughter-in-law of New York City’s public advocate.

“The moment they knew she was under medical distress, they made every effort to try and save her life,” including CPR, Hill said. The department is reviewing its procedures to see whether any policy changes are needed.

Gotbaum’s family has accused police of mistreating her. They have not decided whether to sue police, but the Maricopa County medical examiner’s report “makes it more likely they’ll make a claim,” Manning said.

The government autopsy report “says she was obviously sick before she went into the room, and she was left unattended with a 20-inch chain, and she asphyxiated on that chain,” Manning said.

The attorney said Phoenix police did not act appropriately. Local and national police standards call for officers to notify medical authorities when they’re arresting someone who appears physically or mentally ill — not after the person is in custody and unconscious, he said.

“It doesn’t appear that they did” notify medical authorities in time, Manning said. “If they don’t do that, if they make that mistake, then they’re not supposed to leave that person shackled up and unobserved.”

A government autopsy said that Gotbaum was intoxicated on alcohol and prescription antidepressants, and that her blood-alcohol level was 0.24 percent — three times Arizona’s legal limit of 0.08 for driving while intoxicated.

Gotbaum became enraged when the gate crew didn’t let her on the plane to Tucson, police said. In the holding room, she was found unconscious with the handcuffs up around her neck.

Things you can do from here:


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s